Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dad's Crock-Pot Chili

Yes, I like to make blog posts and I'll use just about any excuse to do it. Here is Dad's Crock-Pot Chili recipe. This is VERY good chili. I've played around with it a lot, but I think my favorite variation to this is using ground turky instead of ground beef. Of course, feel free to...do whatever you want with this information!

Dad's Crock-pot Chili

2 16-oz cans red kidney beans
2 14.5-oz cans tomatoes
2lbs coarsely ground beef (regular ground beef is fine)
2 or 3 medium onions coarsely chopped
1 or 2 green pepper coarsely chopped
2 to 3 tbs chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
Salt to taste
Dried chili (hot) peppers to taste

Drain kidney bean cans. Brown & drain beef. Put all ingredients into crock. Stir once. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hrs. (high 5 to 6 hrs). Serve with raw onion, cubed American cheese, chips, & dried chili peppers on the side.

**NOTES**
NEVER, NEVERdid I say NEVER use dry and reconstituted beans. YOU KNOW WHY
Over the years I've used leftovers (chicken, kielbasa, hot dogs)
Try adding corn for different twist
Try different cheeses on the side (mozzarella cheese tends to get stringy when melted)
Use turkey instead of beef, but, if you do add a dash or 3 of poultry seasoning
Use 1lb turkey (with poultry seasoning), and 1lb beef.

No comments: