Sunday, May 18, 2008

Last Night In Riverdale For A While

So this is going to be my last night in Riverdale for quite some time. Everyone's been great to me helping me get ready to go. I'm finding it most difficult this last day; not because I'm reluctant or having second thoughts. I'm just going to have a hard time dealing with time away from everyone.

Meh, this is the crappy part about leaving. I'm doing the right thing for myself and my future and all that good stuff. I'm going to be in an environment that most people talk about as though it was one of the most trying and difficult times of their lives, but I think I'll thrive. I've always thought of myself as performing my best under pressure. I guess I'll find out if that's actually true in the month and a half to follow.

So for everyone who was at the party on Friday: thanks for coming out. The weather was shitty and I woke up covered in mud and mustard (mmmm, hotdogs), but I had a good time. Brian got video and I don't know when I'll get to see it but I hope it's as funny as Robb's.

Cliff, who put on the party, I owe a lot too. He's been a real point of support for me in the past, and he's my best friend. He's made it quite clear that he's not too happy about me leaving, but is glad I've found something that I'm looking forward to.

[Note: I reserve the right to have shitty grammar in this post. Deal with it.]

All afternoon yesterday and all day today Carol and I have been spending time together. It's been a terrific time of emotional ups ("You're going to kick ass!") and downs ("I don't want you to leave!") and I'm going to miss her the most. Being away from her is going to be the hardest part of BMT.

Of course the rest of my family can't go without mention. Thanks to Heather for organizing the family shin-dig for me. It was great to see the family and party one more time before I'm off for who knows how long. Thanks to Mom, of whom Cliff is a near carbon-copy, for balancing out the way that Cliff feels. I know you're going to miss me too, but I appreciate all the sentiment of pride and respect and hope that you've expressed to me for this time while I waited to go away. Thanks to Dad and Deb who have been the text book definition of support in my decision, and for the promised dinner at Chang's to come tomorrow!

I can't end this in any other way than I love my wife, and I'm going to miss her tremendously. I'm going to write you every chance I get, and I can't wait to get your mailings. I can't wait until I can come home and scoop you up and away to wherever life is going to take us. A year from now we're going to be somewhere completely different. Life is going to be one huge adventure from here on out. We're travellers, we go places, on planes. We go together. We've gone through some tough times and we've got some tough times ahead. Once this is over, we're going to have one hell of a life together. You're my everything. I promise you there's a giant pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I love you. I'll miss you. I'll see you soon.

No comments: